Go Back   Cinemagia Forum > Totul despre filme > Star-uri

Old 19 Feb 2004, 23:37   #1
nortis
Junior

nortis

Interviuri cu regizori

inca unulFrom Eraserhead to Blue Velvet to Mulholland [Drive],

what he really wants to do is to dissect...

Words: David Hughes // Portrait: Alaister Thain

The way David Lynch`s mind works is God`s own private mystery. Interviewing the man Mel Brooks once (accurately) described as "Jimmy Stewart from Mars" is like driving on a lost highway at night, somewhere in the American West, when suddenly you pull up into a gas station where instead of pumps you find a jukebox, a dwarf and a column of fire. You are just about to remark upon this to the pump attendant, who is unwisely smoking as he siphons petrol out of your car, when he suddenly anounces, in a voice too loud for this earth, "You know, I`ve really been getting into snooker!" David Lynch has always been a mass of contradictions.
A polite, well-spoken and mild-mannered 'Gee, whizz' Eagle Scout from Missoula, Montana, Lynch somehow transmuted an idyllic childhood of blue skies, green lawns and white picket fences into the kind of art which doesn`t just turn heads, but stomaches as well. From early works like The Amputee, The Grandmother and Eraserhead, through Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart and smallscreen phenomenon Twin Peaks, Lynch`s oeuvre is filled with indelible images, unforgettable characters and disturbing elements, best exemplified by the line the late Pauline Kael overheard from someone who had just seen Blue Velvet: "Maybe I`m sick, but I want to see that again."

Meeting David Lynch, in the suitably Lynchian city of Prague - Franz Kafka`s hometown - certainly fulfills expectations. His improbably quiffed grey hair looks like it has been slept in by three different people, his tie-less shirt is customarily buttoned to the neck.("I don`t like wind on my collarbone, " he explains of the fashion trend he set in the `70s), and his voice is pure Gordon Cole, the shouty FBI chief Lynch played in Twin Peaks. Unlike most Empire Hall of Fame candidates, Lynch arrives five hours early for our interview, informing most of Prague that. "WE COULD DO THE INTERVIEW NOW IF YOU WANT, BUT WE HAVE TO DO IT IN THE BAR. `CAUSE I`M A SMOKER, SEE?" Indeed, during the next two-and-a-half hours of short sentences and long silences, Lynch will smoke his way through most of a pack of American Spirits, pausing only to nibble a cheese sandwich - cherry pie not being indigenous to the Czech capital - and slug back - what else? - a cup of damn fine coffee.

It has been difficult for David Lynch to make films. The making of his first feature, Eraserhead, stretched over four years, plagued by a variety of problems, most of which had to do with money. The making of his latest feature, Mulholland Drive, took almost as long, but or entirely different reasons - it began as a pilot for a TV series, was hated and shelved by the same network that found success with Twin Peaks, then bough and revived by Canal Plus, and finally finished off as a feature which won Lynch the Best Director prize at this year`s Cannes Film Festival. The problem tends to be that, despite being acclaimed as one of America`s most stylish and avant-garde directors, Lynch has never enjoyed commercial success anywhere but the small screen. Eraserhead was an underground success with a strong (though often retrospective) critical response; The Elephant Man and Blue Velvet received multiple Academy Award nominations, but were only modestly successful; the critically-reviled Wild at Heart found an audience in some territories and won Lynch the coveted Plame d`Or in Cannes; Lynch`s other films - including Dune, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. Lost Highway and the lovable The Straight Story - were flops.

His films have also courted controversy. Both Eraserhead and Blue Velvet were dismissed as 'sick' by some critics, the latter earning a knee-jerk reaction from feminists who object to the characterisation of Dorothy (unflinchingly played by Lynch`s then girlfriend, Isabella Rossellini) as a masochist; the quart-into-a-pint-pot adaptation of Dune outraged the book`s legion of fans, a fate which also befell the Twin Peaks movie; Wild at Heart was rendered more mild by censors; Lost Highway was described as exploitative in many quarters - and if the lesbian scenes in Mulholland Drive don`t attract the same criticism, the film`s dreamlogic and abstract denouement may well prove to be its undoing, notwithstanding its growing critical reputation. Although Dune was a disappointment, Lynch was most hurt by the accusations of misogyny. "People have an idea that Dorothy was Everywoman, instead of just being Dorothy," he has said. "If it`s just Dorothy, and it`s her story - which it is to me - then everything is fine. If Dorothy is Everywoman, it doesn`t make any sense... It`s completely false, and they`d be right to be upset. When you start talking about 'women' versus 'a woman', then you`re getting into this area of generalisation, and you can`t win. There is no generalisation. There`s a billion different stories and possibilities."

You once said that Eraserhead was perfect. Do you still feel that way?

No, it was just that day. I might`ve been very relaxed, and it was a long time ago, and it just struck me as, y`know, perfect. Nothing is perfect. You can shoot for it - you`ve gotta shoot for it - but there`s no such thing as a perfect film.

Stanley Kubrick screened Eraserhead for the cast and crew of The Shining, because that was the mood he wanted to achieve. Are you a Kubrick fan?

I love The Shining. If I see it on TV, no matter what else is on, I have to watch it. It just gets better and better. And yet, when it cameout, it didn`t make that much of a noise. But that`s the way it always was with Kubrick`s stuff. It`s pretty amazing how they grow. But I like everything he`s done. I love Barry Lyndon - it`s a great, great film.

There`s a rumour you once considered remaking Lolita, with John Hurt or Anthony Hopkins as Humbert Humbert.

Total baloney. Why remake a perfect film? One of my all-time favourites? a classic? Nobody can touch it. When [Adrian Lyne] did it, it was a joke. I refused to see it.

Anthony Hopkins has admitted he gave you a hard time on The Elephant Man, because he thought you were unsure of yourself.

(Ninety-second pause) I would never say anything about those kinds of things.

With The Elephant Man and The Straight Story, was it more important for you to capture the essence of the true story than the literal truth of the story?

Oh, yeah. It`s true of any true story. The essence is the stuff, and the essence holds the little micro-particles that dictate the action and the thing that drives it. You`ve got to be true to the essence of it.

Was that true of your stalled Marilyn Monroe project, Goddess, based on Anthony Summer`s book?

I don`t know what would have happened if had directed that. But when we said to the people in the studio who we thought killed her, they didn`t want any part of it. It was an interesting thing to think about, but nobody knows. Well, a couple of people know.

In effect, though, you and Mark Frost 'stole from the corpse' with Twin Peaks - the beautiful girl with a dark side...

Well, it`s a phenomenon that`s not just Marilyn Monroe - there`s a lot of girls like that, it`s human nature. But I think that whatever it was about Twin Peaks and Marilyn Monroe, that was a thing, you know, that - speaking for me - I was real interested in.

You acted in Dune and Twin Peaks, but you haven`t done much lately. Why is that?

Twin Peaks is my best work [as an actor]. It wasn`t gonna be a character at all, but there`s a scene where Kyle - Agent Cooper - talks to his boss, and the character was born because I needed to have him to talk to somebody, so I did the voice that he talked to, and I talked loud `cause sometimes I talk loud on the phone, so it just happened like that. And then it became a character. It was really fun. And also the mood on the set of Twin Peaks - at least from my point of view; I wasn`t there when others were working - was so fantastic, so there was a lot of experimenting and a lot of goodwill, a great working atmosphere.

You fell out with Kyle MacLachlan over his and the Twin Peaks` cast sense of abandonment during the second series, which is why Chris Isaak took the principle role in Fire Walk With Me.

(pauses to smoke entire cigarette) Kyle is a good guy, and I wouldn`t like to say anything about that. Kyle`s my neighbour, he`s a really great person, but, you know, when you`re in a TV show, the first year is golden, and the second year, things get strange, and Twin Peaks was no exception.

Were you disappointed you couldn`t have more of Dale Cooper in Fire Walk With Me?

I love restrictions, and I believe in fate. So, what he did worked out just fine.

Are you pleased that Fire Walk With Me, almost universally panned on its release - except, notably, by Empire - is enjoying a critical reappraisal?

Yes, because I love that film, and I say now that The Straight Story is my most experimental movie, but up `til then, Fire Walk With Me was my most experimental fim, and some of the things, you know, sequences... There`s such a magic to just the word 'sequence', I`m not kidding ya. There`s something about the word 'sequence', it`s what I`m fixated on now. And it`s just the whole power of everything.

Could you explain that a little better?

No.

Critics are notoriously fickle, but were you surprised Peaks fans didn`t like the movie?

Not really. There was a shift going on, and who knows all the reasons, but it was just in the air. It was unfortunate, but... And also, it was a dark film, and it was too much in people`s faces and didn`t have the humour of Twin Peaks. It was what it was supposed to be, but it wasn`t what people wanted. It was supposed to be stand-alone, but also the last week of Laura Palmer`s life. All those things had been established, but they could be pleasant on one level to experience, but on another level, not.

Would you ever go back to Twin Peaks?

No. Uh-uh. It`s as dead as a doornail.

Did you get the sense - after the triple-threat of Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart and Twin Peaks - that whatever you made next, the critics would slate?

When you go up, you gotta go down, and I think it happens to everybody.

How do you feel when your films are 'gutted' by the censors? Wild at Heart was cut, as was Blue Velvet...

Those were cuts I didn`t wanna make. They told me if I didn`t want an X I had to take out one hitfrom Frank onto Dorothy. And now you see the beginning of it, Jeffrey in the closet looking out and you hear it, and it`s way worse than it was because your mind kicks in.

But didn`t you cut Wild at Heart yourself after people left the test screenings?

We had three test screenings of Wild at Heart, and only when I cut one tiny part did people stay in the theatre. Well, a lot of people stayed, but about half left, usually. I`ve been very lucky on every film except Dune, that what you see is the director´s cut - except for censorship, I`ve never had to make any changes that I didn`t wanna make.

Do the external forces acting on your work - release dates, studios - frustrate you?

(pauses to order and drink third cup of coffee) See, there`s the doughnut and there`s the hole. The doughnut is the film. The hole is all the things you`re talking about, so they say, "Keep your eye on the doughnut, not the hole." And the doughnut is so much better than the hole, so it`s not that hard to do. There`s never any outside force that keeps you from making the film the way it wants to be. If there is, you should stop. You always think you`re gonna get it into Cannes, but if [it`s] at the expense o fthe film, then you`ll hurt the film and kill yourself.

You found it hard to get backing for another film after Blue Velvet, unable to get either One Saliva Bubble or Ronnie Rocket off the ground.

Yeah. Blue Velvet made money, but it wasn`t the kind of film that had studios calling [me] to do somethin for them. And I was with Dino [De Laurentiis], he bankrolled One Saliva Bubble, and we were gonna shoot it (with Steve Martin and Martin Short). We scouted locations, then Dino`s company went bankrupt.

One Saliva Bubble was one of many comedy projects you never made. Can you tell me about the others?

With The Lemurians, it was the idea that Lemuria sunk, like Atlantis, and the essence of Lemuria began to leak because Jacques Cousteau bumped something on his explorations and caused a leakage of "essence of Lemuria". And this essence worked its way and did certain things. It was a comedy and pretty absurd, but it never got anywhere. But it made us laugh. The Dream Of The Bovine was for the comedy channel. [Robert Engels] and I wrote three episodes, and then sort of realised that it was a feature, but in re-writes it got off-track. And then I re-read some parts of the original, and there`s defiitely something there, but it needs a lot of work. It should be very bad quality, whatever it is. Extremely bad quality. Which is not hard to do.

Are you frustrated at not being able to make comedies, at least so far?

I really have a respect for comedy. People have said comedy is like mathematics: two and two is four; this and this; you gotta get a laugh. And it`s really difficult, and yet comedies are throwaway things.

You`re a big fan of Jacques Tati, but what contemporary comedy have you enjoyed?

Something About Mary - all the dog bits. I like that. And I like the guy with the crutches who tried to get his keys - that physical gag, I thought that was really, really good, the timing of what he did, and the little sound effect they put in there. I thought he did a really good job.

Lee Evans.

Is that his name? He`s really good. And I liked the dog stuff a lot.

What other films have you liked recently?

I haven`t seen that much. I`m not really a film buff, I like to work on my own stuff. Not that something doesn`t exist that I would really like - I just haven`t seen it.

Well, let`s talk about Mulholland Drive. When they shelved the pilot, did ABC simply not 'get' what you were trying to do?

They hated it. They hated the story, the acting. They thought it was too slow, that`s for sure. Basically they hated verything about it.

You started writing it with Joyce Eliason, who scripted The Last Don...

Right. I started, though, way before that, when it was gonna be kind of a spin-off of Twin Peaks, but it didn`t go anywhere. And just the words 'Mulholland Drive' always got something going, but I never knew what, so all the times it started to go, it never really went, until this last thing. And then it wasnothing but trouble with ABC, and it was just more fuel for the [theory] that a thing is not finished until it`s finished.. It wants to be a certain way, and you don`t know all the twists and turns in a road that are coming up - you just drive dow the road and, you know, pay attention.

Like Mulholland Drive itself - the road and the film. Did you predict that the outcome of the whole ABC/shelved pilot fiasco would be a happy one, an award in Cannes and a strong critical response?

When you`re in the middle of something, it`s not impossible to let go of [it], but it`s an injury if you don`t finish something, and part of your mind is always going back to it if it`s not finished. So I don`t know whether it was being hopeful, or I had a feeling, but many people involved in the project had feelings that it wasn`t gonna die. Then it got revived and almost died, and revived and died many, many times. Because of the nature of it, I don`t know how to say it, but it would be like there`s a key to something - your brain kind of kicks in to finish something, and you don`t know how it`s going to end. It`s pretty interesting how the mind can go to work, and ideas come in. It`s a real interesting experience.

The only explanation you ever gave for Lost Highway was that it is a "psychogenic fugue". Would you care to elaborate on that a little?

No. I think it`s [a] beautiful [phrase], even if it didn`t mean anything. It has music and it has a certain force and dreamlike quality. I think they call it a "psychogenic fugue" because it goes from one thing, segues to another, and then I think it comes back again. And so it is [in] Lost Highway.

Is it necessary that you understand seomething if you`re going to film it?

No, not one bit. The reverse is true. My understanding of Wild at Heart, the book... Again, it was a lot like The Elephant Man - the essence was Sailor and Lula, and many things were one line, or one paragraph, or one thing that shot a bunch of studio stuff into me that got expanded. Some things were dropped, but it`s like they triggered [other] things. But then at a certain point you have to go and make it your own.

Your first two features were in black and white, and rumour has it you initially considered shooting Lost Highway in monochrome, to heighten the film noir sensibility.

No.Some films are black and white films and some films are colour films. They tell you pretty much straightaway. I love black and white, but Lost Highway wouldn`t work in black and white, just like The Elephant Man wouldn`t work in colour.

You know your ad for PlayStation 2 is black and white...

No it`s not.

Yes it is. You filmed it in colour, but it was only shown in black and white.

Really?

Really. How do you feel about that?

I do not feel good. It`s supposed to be in colour. You see, there`s a total disregard... Once they have it, they do what they want. And if that happened in film, then I`d have to quit making films.

There are university courses taught, and academic texts published, about the deeper meanings of Twin Peaks and Lost Highway. Why do you think that is?

Human beings are detectives, and mysteries are magnets, and once you discover something, the mystery`s over. And I think that some knowing is completely fulfilling, but most knowing you`re just onto the next thing, and it`s done. It`s like me; I wanna know where things go, but we can all maybe get to maybe a different place, but a very satisfying place. And you`re not very sure of the place, but it`s still very lively.

// Mulholland Drive will be released in January 2002, and reviewed in the February 2002 issue. The Complete Lynch by David Hughes is currently available to buy, priced 15.99 pounds.

cu Lynch
nortis is offline   Reply With Quote sendpm.gif
Old 19 Feb 2004, 23:39   #2
nortis
Junior

nortis

Darren Aronofsky

An Interview with Darren Aronofsky

Interview conducted by Ruby Rich from Inview.Kqed.Org concerning Darren Aronofsky's "Requiem For A Dream" and "Pi".

B. Ruby Rich (Ruby): I think you really put people into the space of, well, of somebody with a migraine headache. You know, how do you get there? Do you get migraines?

Darren Aronofsky (DA): No, a friend of mine who was a really talented actress, her career was basically devastated by her migraines, and I never realized they were so debilitating and I started talking to her and she, I started seeing artwork that came from, that migraine sufferers drew of their migraine attacks and it was exactly the type of things we were talking about, like the hand of god reaching down and pulling out a chunk of brain.

DA: What I really like about subjective filmmaking, and "Pi", and why I was attracted to this is when you're walking down the street, you're not just walking down the street. You're thinking about the conversation you had with your mom two hours ago or you're thinking about the vacation you're going to go on in two weeks with your friends. Your mind is all over the place and I love -- the great thing about filmmaking is that as filmmakers, we can show where a person's mind goes, as opposed to theater, which is more to sit back and watch it.

Ruby: You know, a lot of filmmakers seem to be either very literary-based or else very movie-based who just watch movies. You seem to really be developing this new visual style that suits each story. You know, how did you find this third road?

DA: It's probably because I'm Godless. And so I've had to make my God, and my God is narrative filmmaking, which is -- ultimately what my God becomes, which is what my mantra becomes, is the theme.

Ruby: So it didn't just come from growing up on Coney island?

DA: If anything, it came from eight hours of TV a day. I was a TV junkie as a kid. I am the Sesame Street generation. 1969, I was born the year Sesame Street was launched and that was the year my mom plopped me in front of the TV and said, don't cry anymore. And I think 17, 18 years later, after eight hours of TV a day, I think that's the culture I come from.

Ruby: I know that you studied animation early on and I was really struck with how the character's inner thoughts and feelings really changed their physical surroundings in a very material way.

DA: You know, it's subjective filmmaking. It's coming out of subjectivity, but definitely animation was a big influence. I mean, my business partner right now and also my college roommate, Dan Shreker who got me into filmmaking, is an amazing animator and they have to live life 24 times as long as we do because, you know, they basically have to -- every 24 frames of a second. They're basically painting or drawing and being meticulous.

Ruby: You've pioneered a lot of ingenious special effects, some of them low-budget, different kinds of camera work, way beyond a steady cam. What's a vibra cam? What's a snorry cam?

DA: Those are just, you know, marketing teams trying to add a little, you know, terms to our stuff. But vibra cam was a camera, you know, it was just a technique, a film technique we started in "Pi," which is whenever Max Coen had his headaches, the frame would shake. And how we did it back then, we just literally put the camera on a long lens and just shook it, because that was about what we could afford. And in "Requiem" we got to sort of master it. Snorry cam is basically a rig that attaches the camera to the actor's body. I call it the utmost in subjective filmmaking because the character is frozen in the sense of the frame while the background is moving.

Ruby: You rely a lot on special effects in your films. And yet I think what saves the films from being a sort of MTV razzle dazzle experience are these moments of quiet intensity, of emotional connection between the characters.

DA: Well, whenever there's not intensity, emotional intensity, I just light up the fireworks. You know, because I think that's what it's about. I think the biggest crime is to bore an audience. Really, I can't stand being bored. If anyone sleeps in my film, I'll kill ya because I just don't -- I just want to get people their money's worth.

Ruby: To what extent do you anticipate audience's reactions from the material?

DA: It's hard to really know where an audience is at. You just -- you know, it's one of those gut things; when you're watching it happen, you're hoping it's working. And then, if it's not working, you hope you can save it in editing.

And if you can't save it in editing, you hope that Ellen Burstyn is in the scene, and it will be okay, because whenever Ellen's on the screen, it works.

Ruby: Ellen Burstyn is brilliant in this film.

DA: Thank you, well, actually I shouldn't be thanking you because I had nothing to do with it. It was purely was Ellen. Here's a 67-year-old actress that lets the camera one millimeter from her face.

I've dealt with 19-year-old actors, male actors, like, well, -- she was wearing makeup, no makeup and sometimes makeup that made her worse -- you know, look worse. And, you know, just complete no vanity, complete surrender to the world, complete surrender to the material. And that's what it's about.

You know, I think it's a modern horror film. We always saw this as a monster movie except that the monster was invisible. The creature was invisible. It was addiction, living in the character's head and the only other difference is that the creature wins
Old 20 Feb 2004, 00:16   #3
nortis
Junior

nortis

Alt Interviu cu Aronofsky

ARONOFSKY DARREN: REQUIEM FOR A DREAM

Talk recorded by Alistair Harkness from UrbanCinefile.Com concerning Darren Aronofsky's pre- and post-film speech for "Requiem For A Dream".

At the London Film Festival premiere of his new movie, Requiem For A Dream, director Darren Aronofsky introduces it with a health warning of sorts. "What you’re gonna see is kind of intense and in about 45 or 50 minutes, you’re gonna be feeling a lot of pain and I want to apologise now." The film’s star, Ellen Burstyn, concurs. "I hope you brought a friend with you because you’re going to have trouble getting home after watching this film. It’s very upsetting. I’m sorry." The audience laughs, but one hour and 40 minutes later and they’re sitting in shell-shocked silence as a haunting classical score fused with hip-hop beats plays out over the end credits. They’ve just witnessed one of the most unique, unsettling and visually stunning cinematic achievements in recent memory. When the lights go up, Aronofsky asks if anyone is angry. No one can speak.

Requiem For A Dream is Darren Aronofsky’s follow-up to his astounding debut movie Pi – the lo-fi, black-and-white tale of madness and mathematics that was made for $60,000 and shot guerrilla-style on the streets and subways of New York City. It’s also an adaptation of the seminal 1978 addiction-themed novel of the same name by Last Exit To Brooklyn-author Hubert Selby Jr., a writer whose prose-style pulls no punches with the 31-year-old director.

"After I read his books I feel like I have a fist indentation in my solarplexus for about three weeks," he admits, smiling. "And I wanted to share that with all you guys." Darren Aronofsky, it would seem, enjoys the idea of being a cinematic pugilist.

Co-written by Aronofsky and Selby himself, Requiem For A Dream charts the parallel, addiction-fuelled narratives of TV junkie Sara Goldfarb (Ellen Burstyn), her drug addict son Harry (Jared Leto), his fashion-designer girlfriend Marion (Jennifer Connolly) and his dealer best friend Tyrone (Marlon Wayans). Set in New York, in the decaying holiday resort of Coney Island, it’s a disturbing film about the lengths people will go to escape their reality. Each character is addicted to the image of a better life and it was this idea, rather than the prospect of making a film about drugs, that hooked Aronofsky on the story.

"What’s brilliant about Selby is that he shows us that anything can be an addiction to fill that hole when we’re trying to escape reality. It can be TV, it can be coffee, it can be sex, it can be someone saying ‘I love you’. I wasn’t really interested in junkies and the word heroin is never mentioned in the movie. So for me, it was really about how anything could be a drug."

The film is unrelenting in its portrayal of the physical, emotional and psychological hell associated with addiction and its cinematic punch is provided by the director’s wildly inventive visual style. Building on a fast-cutting, sampling technique he started in film school and developed in Pi, Aronofsky and his editor Jay Rabinowitz created a series of what he calls "hip-hop montages" to convey the extent of each character’s addiction. "The idea was just sampling images and sounds to help tell the story and push it forward," he explains. "I grew up in Brooklyn during the eighties and the golden age of hip-hop; before Eminem. As a kid I was a really bad graffiti artist and a really bad breakdancer but I still wanted to take some hip-hop ideas and apply them to narrative filmmaking. So that’s where all the fast cutting came from. It just happened to work really well with the idea of obsession and addiction."

The end result is probably one of the most effective (if unintentionally) anti-drug films ever made. There is no catharsis for the characters in Requiem For A Dream. No one recovers, nothing works out and its impact is as horribly compelling as a road accident.

This was a deliberate ploy by Aronofsky who was bored with American cinema’s addiction to happy endings. "Hollywood has sort of killed the tragedy," says the director. "It doesn’t really exist in cinema anymore. Evens in so-called darker films – especially in a lot of drug movies – so many people recover and get out alive. And anyone who has been on the planet for 15 or 20 years generally knows that that’s not going to happen."

Instead, Aronofsky hopes that Requiem For A Dream will be about the catharsis the audience will have when they realise that their lives are "not as fucked up as these peoples’."

It was undoubtedly this insistence on tragedy that made Requiem For A Dream a more difficult second feature for its writer-director than it should have been. After winning the Director’s Award at the 1998 Sundance Film Festival with Pi, Aronofsky immediately became a hot property and when that film went on to become an unexpected commercial success, financiers told him, "What ever you want to do now, we’ll do it." He promptly sent out the script for Requiem For A Dream and not one person called him back.

"That’s a true story," Aronofsky says reflecting on his first encounter with the fickleness of the movie industry. "It was a real struggle but [my] producer, Eric Watson, said, ‘whenever everyone is telling you no, you know you’re doing something right.’ So it’s a victory to have this film done."

It’s unlikely he’ll have to struggle with his next couple of films in quite the same way. Aronofsky has been confirmed as the writer-director of the next Batman movie on which he is collaborating with Dark Knight Returns-creator Frank Miller. It’s a prospect that has the fanboys drooling at the mouth, especially after the last two kiddie-oriented cinematic outings for the Caped Crusader were so roundly despised.

Before that, however, he’s working on a remix album of the Requiem For A Dream soundtrack with its composer Clint Mansell, the former Pop Will Eat Itself front-man who also provided the atmospheric, techno-laden score for Pi .

Film-wise he’s going to make the movie that he’s been writing for most of the last year. "I’ve been pitching it as a post-Matrix, metaphysical science fiction film." He smiles. "That sounds kinda cool, right?"

Yes it does. Just don’t expect to feel too good after seeing it.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 00:19   #4
nortis
Junior

nortis

David Lynch

David Lynch

"Painting is something that is always changing and expanding. And the only way to evolve is through the act of painting. You can think about it, but it's not the same as being there. So when you return to painting after a break, you start up in a very strange place. It's very discombobulated and takes quite a while to get back into where you are solidly evolving. The thing I find is that I have a long way to go. But it's a great trip."

"It's one person acting and reacting with paint; it's a process that does not involve words."

"You go by most paintings, and they don't stop you. You can walk by so much because it's merely beautiful. I like to feel that you could bite my paintings. Not to eat them, to hurt them. I like to feel like I'm painting with my teeth. I call my painting `bad' because bad painting has its own beauty. It's not a designer tapestry or a commercial hype. It makes you react to it."

"Actually, they're really different [his paintings compared to his films]. It's a whole different experience, painting. And yet, a similar experience. It's like a creative process. A dialogue with something. It's action and reaction. It's an experiment. It's talking to you, it wants to be a certain way. And there are highs and lows in it. Many, many things happening in it, which are abstract, that you can't put into words. And I love painting because it's really an internal, personal thing. But then, so are films..."

"People have sometimes said my paintings stink."

"My mother refused to give me coloring books, but gave me blank paper and things to draw with. I was never limited by pre-conception, my imagination was never ruined - I was free."

"Art means different things for different people and we all have personal tastes – where they come from, we don't know. But these tastes can evolve, or devolve. What worries me is that in the present time tastes are devolving and very few people are engaged in what is on screen or what is in a painting and it's just a one-way hollow thrill."
Old 22 Feb 2004, 03:53   #5
nortis
Junior

nortis

iarasi Lynch

"I hate slick and pretty things. I prefer mistakes and accidents. Which is why I like things like cuts and bruises - they're like little flowers. I've always said that if you have a name for something, like 'cut' or 'bruise,' people will automatically be disturbed by it. But when you see the same thing in nature, and you don't know what it is, it can be very beautiful."
"I like motors. I like oil and water when they mix together...You know, that little film on the...on the water and the smell of...uh...lake water and gasoline is a beautiful thing."

"It's like smoke coming out of a chimney. A new chimney is one thing, but an old chimney Â* it's years of heat, black smoke and hairs that catch in there and build up right? And the side of the building's all black with all these broken windows, and rotting grass is caught in there. It's fantastic stuff!"
Old 22 Feb 2004, 04:17   #6
nortis
Junior

nortis

Citat Lynch

The David Lynch Quote Collection

Compromises
"You cant make compromises. Compromises kill the film."
"You don't compromise. Except that a person has to work with what they have. If you call that a compromise, then you compromise. There are many, many, many things that you're forced to dream up to make do with what you have, but it's not a compromise. It's just different ways to skin this cat. I really believe that even if you just have a little bit of money there are ways to get into that film and make it work without a compromise. It may take a long, long, long time, like in Eraserhead. We didn't have the money but we had the time."
Old 22 Feb 2004, 04:20   #7
nortis
Junior

nortis

Interviu Lynch

Getting Lost Is Beautiful - The light and dark world of David Lynch

By John Powers LA Weekly Writer

DAVID LYNCH AND I ARE SITTING HIGH UP in his aerielike studio talking about one of his favorite topics.

"I love concrete," he says. "Concrete is very strong. It can be very smooth and make beautiful, minimal shapes."

He's just launching into a story about the genius of his concrete trowler, Renaldo, who can give a wall a burnished surface full of marvelous shapes and shades, when the phone rings. It's his 9-year-old son, Riley.

"You want to do what?" Lynch barks. "Ride your skateboard into the swimming pool? Of course you can't." He shakes his head. "What did you think I'd say?"

As they talk, I think about how weird it would be to have David Lynch as your dad.

TO TALK SERIOUSLY ABOUT LYNCH IS TO BEGIN with his enthusiasms.

"Look at this," he says one hot August morning. He shows me a photograph of a dilapidated industrial building. "I took it last December in Lodz, Poland. I was at this film festival, Camerimage, and it was so much fun. In the daytime we'd shoot factories, and at night we'd shoot nudes."

Factories and nudes, nudes and factories -- of such strange oppositions is Lynch's imagination made. His movies are torn between light and dark, blonde and brunette, goofy and primal, avant-garde and retro, the radiantly transcendent and the downright icky. And this sense of duality carries into his daily existence. Lynch jealously guards his privacy but parades his innermost kinks onscreen for the whole world to see. He invariably talks poor -- "David's so goddamned cheap," his late friend Jack Nance once laughingly told me -- but has a three-house compound in the Hollywood Hills. Although his twisted style subverts traditional American values, his political attitudes are profoundly conservative: "She's a wonderful woman," he once snapped when I made fun of Nancy Reagan. Where many are swallowed by their contradictions, Lynch gobbles them down like amphetamines. They're his goad, his fuel, his shivering thrill.

When we first met in the mid-1980s, his big, soft face was immaculately shaven, his hair neatly combed, his crisp white shirt carefully buttoned all the way to the top. He exuded a corn-fed adolescent enthusiasm -- did anyone else, even then, still say "Jeepers"? -- and I understood why he was often compared to Jimmy Stewart. Now, at 55, he still uses the same cracker-barrel lingo, but time has left its handwriting upon him. His eyes are bloodshot, the white shirt looks a tad worn, and bits of gray stubble elude his razor. He still reminds me of Jimmy Stewart, not the Mr. Smith who goes to Washington but the grizzled obsessive from Vertigo. His beaming smile has lost its innocence.

Yet sitting in his studio high above the family bunker (all three houses are made of concrete), he's in fine spirits. After years in the artistic wilderness, David Lynch is back with a vengeance. He's about to launch a pay Web site, DavidLynch.com, and his new movie, Mulholland Drive, has proven an unexpected triumph. A rejected TV pilot that Lynch re-shot, re-cut and re-conceived, Mulholland Drive isn't merely his best work in a decade, it may be the best movie set in Hollywood since Sunset Boulevard.

In an essay written around the time of Lost Highway, David Foster Wallace neatly explained why Lynch's work is so unsettling: Unlike a normal film, a Lynch film gets under your skin because you don't know what it wants from you. It enters you like a dream.

This is certainly true of Mulholland Drive, a corrosively beautiful fairy tale that's as mysterious as the inky shadows that lie just beyond the throw of our headlights. It centers on the apache dance of two wildly different women, one dark and one fair. There's the hard-faced brunette sexpot known as Rita (Laura Elena Harring), who is suffering from amnesia, and there's innocent, blond Betty Elms, played by Naomi Watts, whose breathtaking performance takes her from wide-eyed wonder to a lacerating awareness of human emptiness. Wildly ambitious and wantonly intuitive, the movie is at once a touching love story, a portrait of L.A. illusions, a pomo slice of film noir, a clubfooted satire of the movie business and a radical vision of the human psyche -- not to mention another Lynchian riff on The Wizard of Oz, complete with tiny people. Call it a tale about nudes caught in the Dream Factory.

Like nearly all of Lynch's work, the movie began not with a plot line but with a mood, an image, a title, a place -- in this case, Mulholland Drive.

"I picture Mulholland Drive at night," Lynch says, lighting up an American Spirit cigarette. "Anybody who's driven on that road knows that there's not a lot of traffic, and it's filled with coyotes and owls and who knows what. You hear stories about things that happen on Mulholland Drive. It's a road of mystery and danger. And it's riding on top of the world, looking down on the Valley and Los Angeles. You get these incredible vistas, so it's pretty dreamy as well as mysterious."

THE MOST INSTINCTIVE OF ARTISTS, LYNCH HAS never liked discussing his work and grows instantly leery when you bring up questions of meaning. When I ask how he sees the difference between blondes and brunettes, a classic dichotomy that he returns to fetishistically, his answer's so deliberately vague that both of us smile -- we know I'll never be able to use it. Like a good Middle American (he was born in Montana), he views all manner of analysis with mortal suspicion. He once went to a psychiatrist, and after the first session asked if therapy might damage his creativity. The shrink said yes, and Lynch never went back.

The first time I interviewed him, in 1986, I spent hours peppering him with questions, all of which he deflected with cheery aplomb. I felt like a high school kid parked with a perky virgin who politely removed my hand each time I put it on her thigh. Today, we're both too old for that song and dance, and we race through our paces like blasé divorcees.

"You feel warier than you used to be?"

"Uh-huh."

"Less good-humored?"

"Uh-huh."

He leans back in his Aeron chair. I look around his atelier, which is studded with Lynchiana. A coffee cup, a big kit of Brookestone tools, a gorgeous, unfinished painting that contains the words Bob's Anti-Gravity Factory. In a touch so talismanic that it feels art-directed, his small portable stereo is adorned with the husk of a dead fly.

He lights up another cigarette, and I ask about his smoking. He says that 22 years after quitting cold turkey, he started up again in 1992.

"What happened in 1992?"

He laughs mirthlessly. "Don't get funny with me, Powers."

I originally wondered if his fabled obsessiveness was a sly shtick, a way of giving reporters something droll to write about while throwing them off the scent. No doubt this is partly true. But in 1989, I spent a week interviewing Lynch for a French documentary and saw firsthand how thoroughly his obsessions shaped his life. Back then he wouldn't allow any food in the house (he hated the smell) and ate exactly the same thing every day (as I recall, a tuna sandwich for lunch). Since then, the menu has changed but not the obsession:

"I'll have the same thing every day for six months maybe, or even longer," he says. "And then one day I just can't face it anymore.

"Now, I have cappuccino in the morning, many coffees during the day, and salad that's put in a Cuisinart so each bite tastes the same. No meat. This has got nuts and eggs and some lettuce and different kinds of greens. So it's a little bowl of Cuisinart salad with Parmesan cheese on top. And then at night I have a block of Parmesan cheese, maybe a 2-inch cube, and red wine. Mary [Sweeney, with whom he lives] cuts it up for me into little chunks and gives it to me in a napkin."

When I ask why he wants to stick to this redundant diet, he tells me that it's "reassuring . . . there are no surprises there." Lynch's inner life is obviously so fertile and turbulent -- a steaming Amazon of run-amok impulses -- that his culinary routine provides a kind of sanctuary. Like the concrete walls that house him, his dietary rituals help him fend off the outer world so he can devote all his time to work.

For Lynch loves working more than anything in the world. Tireless as a silkworm, he just can't stop creating: He paints, makes movies, produces TV shows, takes photographs and plays guitar for a heavy-metal band called Blue Bob. Creativity is the one topic he never tires of talking about. He'll tell you how some ideas come from deep inside you, and how other ideas come from places so much deeper inside that they seem to be coming from outside you. And he'll tell you how still others trickle into your mind like water and pool there until you finally notice them and fall in love with their possibilities. Just don't ask him what they mean.

"Once you fall in love with the ideas," he exults, "that is so thrilling. There's not much more to think about except trying to go as deep into that world as you can and being true to those ideas. You kind of get lost. And getting lost is beautiful."

OF COURSE, SOME WAYS OF GETTING LOST ARE not so lovely, and for most of the last decade, Lynch seemed to have dropped off the cultural map.

It hardly seemed possible. From the moment he made the definitive midnight movie, Eraserhead, in 1976, he was a guy on the rise. True, Dune was a megabudget flop, but Lynch had already landed a Best Director Oscar nomination for The Elephant Man, and his next picture, Blue Velvet, quickly became one of the cinematic touchstones of the last quarter-century. By the summer of 1990, his trademark blend of irony, grotesquery and visceral emotionalism had made him the heppest cat around. Wild at Heart had just won the Palme d'Or at Cannes, Twin Peaks was an international craze, and Lynch himself gazed out from the cover of Time, which dubbed him the "Czar of Bizarre." He had turned a common Irish surname into a resonant adjective -- the word Lynchian was every bit as evocative as Kafkaesque -- and his eccentric sensibility seeded the clouds of the '90s, influencing TV programs like Northern Exposure and cartoonists like Daniel Clowes, and injecting his artistic DNA into the work of Tarantino, Egoyan and the brothers Coen (what is Fargo if not a more anodyne Twin Peaks?).

But just when Lynch seemed to have it made, this oddball Icarus flew too close to mass culture's klieg lights. Despite a shattering climax, Twin Peaks guttered and died, and the public never warmed to Wild at Heart (which I still think is his worst film). By the time Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me was released in 1992 (and yes, that's the year he began smoking again), he had fallen sadly out of favor. Although his account of Laura Palmer's last week is one of that decade's bravest and most harrowing films, it died in a blizzard of nasty, uncomprehending reviews (The Washington Post termed it a "psychic autopsy, a weirdly fundamentalist cogitation on the intersection of Heaven, Hell and Washington state").

When I ask about this fall from grace, he shrugs and replies in the primitivist terms you might expect: "They warned me if you're on the cover of Time, you've got two years' bad luck coming. And a black cloud did come over me, and when the black cloud comes over, there's nothing you can do about it. Nothing. And you look out and you wonder, 'How come these things are happening and people are saying these things?' It's just the way it is. It's just part of the deal. And then you wonder, 'How long will the cloud be there?'"

Lynch didn't make another film for five years, and you heard industry types muttering that he was "over." But his own faith in himself was unshaken. "If you don't believe in the work and you get bad reviews, then it's really devastating. But if you believe in it, then the bad reviews, at most, are confusing -- you can still live. With Dune it was the first example, and with Fire Walk With Me it was the second."

Because his work never relies on formula, Lynch has a narrower margin for error than most filmmakers: If a scene or two goes kerflooey, he completely loses the audience. That's pretty much what happened with the patchy Lost Highway (1997), whose Möbius-strip structure was miles from Hollywood's three-act cliché -- Bill Pullman transforms into Balthazar Getty with no explanation. People just didn't get it. That may be one reason he played it so linear in The Straight Story, a lawn-mower-powered 1999 road movie that was as square as Grandma's favorite doily. Although the movie was guilty of romanticizing small-town life (no Wal-Mart in Lynch's Iowa), it also marked a heartfelt stab at a new emotional maturity. Lynch genuinely believed what he was saying about family and reconciliation. The movie had a tenderness largely missing since The Elephant Man.

That tenderness has carried over into Mulholland Drive, which finds Lynch up to his customary trick of dropping light and dark into the Cuisinart. Although this is the crookedest story he's ever told, Lynch never loses sight of his heroines' frailty amid all the hallucinations, mistaken identities, performances within performances, dreams within dreams within dreams. The film's vision is bleak, for Lynch no longer seems to believe in any kind of solid, stable psyche. He portrays the self as a series of trap doors through which we tumble, or perhaps as an onion -- peel off its layers and there's nothing left but silence. In a pivotal scene, Rita and Betty go to a downtown theater and watch a Latina singer belt out a song with wrenching passion. It's a dazzling star turn -- until we discover that she's merely lip-synching. Mulholland Drive suggests that each of our lives is a performance in which we're never quite sure whose voice we're really hearing, or who's writing the lines.

It's not that Lynch has no idea of how he'd like the world to be. For all his dark, perverse imaginings, his social values are rooted in the sunlit credo of the American West: Don't tread on me. Nothing matters to him more than his freedom to do whatever he thinks up. I first saw this side of him one afternoon in 1989 when he began railing about the city government: It wouldn't let him put razor wire around his property to keep itinerants from cutting across his property. He shook his head:

"You know, John, this country's in pretty bad shape when human scum can walk across your lawn, and they put you in jail if you shoot 'em."

While Lynch doesn't seem like the sort of man who's packing heat, he was drawn to Ronald Reagan because of his "cowboy image" and laments that L.A.'s wonderland of individual freedom is being hedged in by rules and regulations. He takes building-code restrictions personally. "People," he says, "should be able to build what they want to build, when they want to build it, how they want to build it."

Although he claims to know nothing of politics, in last year's election he backed the Natural Law Party, whose philosophy is that an ideal government mirrors the natural order. While this may sound slightly wacko, the party's platform is perfectly sensible -- libertarianism with a human face. As part of the campaign, Lynch produced a campaign video for the party's presidential candidate, John Hagelin, an acclaimed quantum physicist. This tape is an extremely strange document (you can see it at http://archive.hagelin.org/soundbytes/davidlynch.htm), for Lynch has no great knack for doing normal. He interviews the candidate in front of creepy golden curtains and punctuates the questions with ominous pulsing music. The superbrainy Hagelin winds up seeming like an off-kilter, B-movie version of a real politician -- the presidential hopeful from Twin Peaks.

Lynch's picture of the world was formed in the 1950s, and he clearly adores the mythologized version, that fabulous decade of jukeboxes and sneaky-perverse movies like Rear Window.

"It was a feeling in the air that anything was possible. People were enthusiastically inventing things that thrilled them. And there was a happiness in the air. There was plenty going on beneath the surface, but it wasn't as dark a time because there was that other thing going along with it. The '50s was a time when people seemed to be going crazy with design. And the cars were just incredible. I mean, you look at them, and it's like you start to fall in love. That changed, you know, in the '60s and '70s. The cars were pitiful. I mean pitiful. It made you ashamed. You'd wanna hang your head and go in a corner. It was sickening."

We're talking a couple of days before September 11, but Lynch is already gloomy about the state of the world:

"You just get the feeling that you're sort of powerless in the big picture. And it's not like 'I better get mine,' but I'm gonna burrow in and concentrate and enjoy doing that. Not try to put my head in the sand, but for my own protection let as little of that outside negativity affect me."

He lights another American Spirit.

Far more than when we first met, Lynch appears to be isolating himself from the outside world. And there's more to this than just surrounding himself with concrete walls. Where he once waxed lyrical about tooling around L.A., he now says he doesn't drive very much anymore. People have gotten too crazy and the cars too hideous. "If the cars were more beautiful," he says about driving, "somehow I think people would take care and enjoy it more."

At the moment, he seems settled in a domesticity I wouldn't have believed possible in the early '90s. Back then he was known for squiring around actresses, from ex-flame Isabella Rossellini to Twin Peaks hotty Sherilyn Fenn. (In life, anyway, he prefers his women dark rather than fair.) He's currently into his 10th year with companion Mary Sweeney, a multitalented brunette who produced his last three films, edited all his work since Fire Walk With Me ä and co-wrote The Straight Story. She's also the mother of 9-year-old Riley.

I ask Lynch: "Do you like being a father?"

His smile falters slightly. "What does that have to do with anything?"

WHEN THE AIRPLANES FLATTENED the World Trade Center, the composer Karl-Heinz Stockhausen caused a scandal by calling it a great work of art. Lynch is not so cut off from humanity as to say anything like that, but far more than anyone I've met, he does view life through the prism of aesthetics. He's so preternaturally attuned to design that it's sometimes hard to believe he's not kidding.

I've been told that Lynch likes to hang around the vintage modern furniture shop Skank World, and one morning, I ask if he cares about furniture. He instantly sits up.

"Caring," he says, giving it a little spin. "Every word has, you know, its spread of power. You could care a little bit or you could care a lot. But if you put this word caring at the maximum-level intensity, it wouldn't begin to be enough to say how much I love furniture.

"And I have been sick lately. I'm not seeing any furniture that thrills my soul. I look around, I look at stuff, and a lot of times it's close but no cigar. A piece of furniture can completely destroy a whole room." He pauses to sip his coffee. "You know, unless the environment is a certain way, you really do yourself a disservice."

Lynch himself has designed furniture, and though he finds none of it "thrilling" -- the highest term of praise in his lexicon -- I ask if we can look at what he's come up with. We step carefully down the narrow pathway and wind up in house number three, which is less a home than a gigantic grown-up playhouse.

We pass through a room filled with gorgeous, sinister paintings devoted to the further misadventures of Bob, then move down a dark hallway to a door. It opens to reveal a full-fledged motion-picture mixing studio, with a big silver screen, two 35mm projectors, huge Marshall amps and technicians sipping coffee. They're working on the sound for the forthcoming The Elephant Man DVD, and Lynch promises me that the remix is going to be "pretty tasty." From there, he leads me to a room filled with the equipment that runs the studio, and an Epson 9500 photo printer that uses rolls of paper up to 44 inches wide. Lynch fondly calls it the "Bad Boy."

All this must have cost you a fortune, I say, and he nods.

"It was not pretty."

Eventually we find our way to his office, where I'm shown a group of tables that he designed -- an asymmetrical espresso table, a club table with a special slot for cigarettes, and a "floating beam" table, whose thick underlying beam appears to hang in the air. They were built by a Swiss company called Casanostra, which subsequently went out of business. Lynch insists that his tables weren't the reason why, though it's hard to imagine anyone buying one with the intention of using it -- they're fabulous Magritte-style curios rather than practical home furnishings.

Even as he dutifully shows me a bed he designed (the headboard was made, he says, by "Raoul, the upholsterer to the stars"), he's eager to get me over to the computer, a relatively new obsession. Lynch's tastes may run to retro in cars and lamps, but he's not one of those Luddites who find Flash animation as incomprehensible as Sanskrit or hate digital video (he's thought of making a silly DV comedy titled The Dream of the Bovine). Lynch happily embraces what he calls the "beautiful world" of the Internet, which he sees as a new frontier of staggering freedom. "The whole world is made of little bits," he says, "and now we've been given little bits that we can manipulate. The sky is the limit."

Predictably, Lynch has no discernible interest in using computers the way most of us do. He rarely surfs the Net, doesn't play video games. Instead, he has spent much of the last two years designing DavidLynch.com, which was optimistically scheduled to launch October 12 (it didn't make it) and should be open for business any day now. The site will showcase all manner of new Lynchiana, from still photographs and music to DV serials.

Once his computer's booted up, he clicks his mouse. Up pops a set of surreal teeth that open and close. Very spooky.

Click! We're looking at a seedy apartment occupied by three characters, all of whom have human bodies topped with big-eared bunny heads.

Click! An extraordinary close-up of bees.

Click! A naked woman in a jar.

Click! A butcherd pig that's been reassembled and now stands on its back legs ("I'm going to make the pig walk").

Click! To my shock, there's a picture of Lynch bending over and pointing his finger at his backside (covered, thank heavens), which is aimed straight at the camera.

Lynch laughs. "I did this one for a guy who said I hadn't paid him some money."

We spend a long time perusing a still photo of the elevator lobby from Eraserhead. Using PhotoShop, Lynch has been able to make the elevator doors slide open to reveal what's inside -- light spills out onto the carpet in the foreground.

He stares at it intently. "There was a period when I could get lost in this world for weeks at a time."

My allotted time has run out, and I keep preparing to leave. But looking at all this material, Lynch is getting excited. He keeps offering to show me one more thing. He shows me two nudes. He shows me another Polish factory. He shows me the lovely prototype image for his Web site's chat room, which looks like some unholy hybrid of a steam engine and a film projector.

As the images keep coming (even more bees!), I find myself getting caught up in his boyish enthusiasm. His stuff really is cool! And I'm reminded why, though some folks think him dark or nasty, I've always found Lynch inspiring. A true romantic, he believes in the transcendent power of imagination, the possibility of creating wondrous new worlds.

Computers, I say, must be a real boon to obsessives like him.

He tells me that, for the upcoming DVD of Eraserhead, a man named Arash has spent four months digitally tweaking all the images.

"You know, like, when you're watching a film on TV, you see little white specks? That's negative dirt. On Eraserhead, the dirt was built in. There was no way to get rid of it. Every print had the same dirt. And you know how when you're on your computer and you've got your magnifying glass, you can go to the next magnification and see large? And on the next magnification you'll see billions of pieces of dirt and so on? Well, Arash has cleaned this thing."

"Cleaned it?"

"Frame by frame." He beams triumphantly. "It will be the cleanest film in cinema history."
Old 25 Feb 2004, 22:57   #8
nortis
Junior

nortis

Inca astept sa postati si voi ceva interviuri...
Old 29 Feb 2004, 23:44   #9
nortis
Junior

nortis

Fellini 1

The Master speaks on life, art,
and Carlos Castaneda

page 1 of 4

INTERVIEW BY TONI MARAINI
Translated by A. K. Bierman

Federico Fellini's fantasy world, which has become more dreamlike over the years, shows us the spectacle of life. Yet, paradoxically, the most surreal of Italian directors invites us to reflect on reality.

What is this reality, which contains everything that happens? Where is it? In us? Outside of us? In our memory, which turns into myth? In the real events that seem like dreams or in dreams that materialize in an immense farce wherein existence is the tragicomic appearance? Like Pirandello before him, Fellini meditates on the ease with which we cross the borders that supposedly mark the difference between reality and appearance.

As in the short film The Interview, which he made for Italian television, Fellini identities a film director with the demiurge of a Great Spectacle. "My films are not for understanding. They are for seeing," Fellini reminds anyone who persists in undervaluing the aim of his aesthetic orientation.

I talked about this and other things with Fellini in his Rome studio sometime after his last film, La Voce della Luna (The Voice of the Moon). Courteous, cordial, gifted with a good sense of humor, Fellini, who is mistrustful of journalists — and who loves paradox and ambiguity — kindly tried not to talk about this mistrust. "Really, we should chat about other things," he told me.

You don't like to give interviews and it's difficult for a journalist to get one. You should know I'm more a poet than a journalist.

Splendid.

Here's something that will amuse you. Because of the anxiety I had about doing this interview, I woke up voiceless this morning, unable to make a sound!

Perfect. I love journalists who don't talk much.

I'm reluctant to give interviews because I believe we should avoid them and I'm trying to hold to this sane decision. But in certain cases I end up by accepting, because there are friends who insist I do interviews. Then there's the curiosity of meeting somebody new. Also it's flattering; so out of an indecent vanity and a shameless desire to prattle about myself, I consent.

I've given a lot of interviews; so, I don't trust what I say. I repeat myself. I try to remember what I've already said and what I still haven't said. For fear of repeating something I've already said, I invent other things.

You mistrust yourself, then?

Yes, that's right. I mistrust myself, not the journalist, even if for fifty years I've had the feeling that journalists asked me stupid questions.

An interview is a halfway point between a psychoanalytical sitting and a competitive examination. So, I experience a slight uneasiness about all the interviews I've given. I try to rethink myself rather than repeat myself. And besides, I have some embarrassing limits. Sometimes I don't have answers.

Giuletta Masina, Anthony Quinn,
and clown friend in La Strada

Your answers are already in your films, by having created them.

That's right. The author's most important answer is the work itself, and in my work people have found the few things I tried to say. Despite that, the author generally is the least suited to talk about his work.

Those who see the film want to ask questions, and, after all, this need is stimulated by creation. In order to try to understand your last film, for example, I reread some paragraphs from Krishnamurti, whom you know as a thinker.

Yes, yes. In which book did you find these paragraphs? I'd like to see them.

Nevertheless, I don't think that an author, when he creates, poses "others" problems. Really, when I'm working, I don't think of others. Certainly, the author is conscious of the, as we say, "craft" side of his own creation, of the how to express what he wants to say. But I don't think he worries too much about the problem of why and who to tell.

Yet, even if you don't tell it "to others," like every creator you tell it to yourself. In this self-telling, doesn't reevaluation go on, a gradual, revelatory consciousness of self?

As in life generally, the experience of working brings a greater mastery at the technical level, and, therefore, better reasoning about choices and how to carry them out. But in the deeper sense of knowing to which you alluded, the idea that through my work I may have a greater knowledge of myself, I will tell you I don't think there has been an evolution. On my last birthday, a friend asked me what it meant for me to be seventy, and my spontaneous response was, "Seventy? It seems to me I've always been seventy!"

So you see, my answer reflects my true feeling. For me, at seventy, I'm not much different from what I was at forty, thirty-five, twenty-five, or even earlier.

This doesn't so much mean you've always had the feeling of being seventy, but rather — if I understand you — that reaching this age and looking back you have the feeling of always having had the same age from youth on.

Yes, the adolescent age. Exactly. It's totally an adolescent age. Whoever has created knows this state that I would call "motionless time."

But it's precisely this state of pure consciousness and spontaneity that anyone who creates tries to conquer or rather to safeguard.

You're referring still to our Krishnamurti!

Yes, and to the importance of existential time, so typical of your film creations, in contrast with time understood as a historical, straight, linear sequence in which facts, chronologies, and so forth pile up.

It's true. Unfortunately, because of our goal-oriented training, we Westerners have a vision of ourselves living through a continuous time line that requires steps, changes, conclusions, and a goal one must reach.

I’d like to ask you something. Some say that all your films are the same. Furthermore, you seem to agree that your fantasies have this circular repetitive motion. Yet to me, over the course of years, this movement travels in a spiral, as if each time a new element shifts the problem to a higher level.

In your last film, The Voice of the Moon, the ingredients are as always the world as a stage for visions and appearances, fragmentation, the reality/dream conflict, but the questions posed in the course of the film seem to me to announce a final, symbolic, almost whispered reconciliation with death, nature's energy, women and love, the generational conflict.

Maybe. I haven't been able to see the difference in this film. I always seem to make the same film.

This was the most exhausting one, you said.

I get exhausted when I'm trying any way I can to put off starting a film. It's an honest to goodness matter of a "starting neurosis," this attitude of total aversion, like someone who puts off the moment when he'll have to look at himself in the mirror, an image he wants to disown. It's worsened in these last years.

I have a tendency to hold off starting a film until I feel myself forced to begin in order to see where I want to go, where I will take myself.

I wrote about this in my book Making a Film (Fare un film), about La Strada. At the beginning I had only a confused feeling, a kind of tone that lurked, which made me melancholy and gave me a diffused sense of guilt, like a shadow hanging over me. This feeling suggested two people who stay together, although it will be fatal, and they don't know why. But once this feeling crystallized, the story came easily, as if it had been there waiting to be found.
Old 01 Mar 2004, 03:53   #10
ogto
Gandhi's Big Gun

ogto

Mama frate... Mijto chestia... Lunga, dar misto . Cat tia luat ca sa scrii TOATE chestiile astea? Le-ai tradus tu sau asa le-ai gasit?
Old 01 Mar 2004, 23:27   #11
nortis
Junior

nortis

Asa le/am gasit.
Old 01 Mar 2004, 23:31   #12
nortis
Junior

nortis

Fellini 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

page 1, 2, 3, 4

What crystallized your feeling?

Giuletta [Masina]. I'd wanted for some time to make a film for her. She's singularly able to express astonishment, dismay, frenetic happiness, the comic somberness of a clown. For me a clownesque talent in an actor is the most precious gift she can have. Giuletta's the kind of actress who's very congenial with what I want to do, with my taste.

My slowness in starting a film is certainly unacceptable in a profession that requires planning, but I confess to needing this climate in order to begin a film. When I've begun, I try to find a lighthearted mood, that unfathomable poise of story telling, that pleasure I experienced in filming The Interview.

That short movie was filmed day by day while making it up. I'm aiming more and more toward this kind of film. So, for La Voce della Luna, my latest film, I tried to do the same thing, to do like the circus people do: create a scene, a spectacle for nothing. I need to construct the scenario from life — with buildings, lights, situations, seasons — as a premise in order to see how things are going.

For this film, I designed and created everything, from buildings to the publicity. Then every once in a while I visited the set, saw it empty, saw the dust invading, some windows shattered by the wind, and I asked myself, "What's happening?" At the risk of appearing romantic, I'll tell you that something in me said, "You'll see, the piazza will come alive, the sacristan will appear at the church's portico, someone will go into a store to buy something.. ."

And so it was. As if by necessity, the set came alive. I let the film happen; important things were tossed off as banalities, and casual things seemed important. I wanted to achieve the naturalness of The Interview.

The director dolls up on the
set of Fellini's Casanova

The Interview is autobiographical. We see a young Fellini, an adolescent journalist, who one day in 1941 visits Cinecitta. He is seduced by the Spectacle, by its imaginary games, and by the almost supernatural power of the director who constructs and deconstructs the story of life.

When, as a young man, I went to Cinecitta and saw the directors filming, I admired their power — to shout, scream, make beautiful actresses weep — I remember in particular having seen Blasetti make the very beautiful and very famous Isa Pola cry — but I also found them boorish, overbearing, vulgar, arrogant.

I tried to catch this picture of the tyrant director in The Interview. He was a figure that seduced me despite everything. But at that time I never thought I'd be a director; I lacked the temperament, the voice, the authority, the arrogance.... I thought that I would be a writer or a painter, or, better, a "special correspondent." But it turns out that I had all those defects! Because I became a director ... for a kind of pleasure. Out of an entomologist's curiosity. My films are films of expression.

I agreed to direct The Interview in order to keep a contract. I see in myself an artist of the 1400s, one who needed a client, which at that time was often the church. In its deep understanding of the human soul, the need for being lured and at the same time threatened, the church understood the adolescent nature of the artist. But today this aspect is no longer taken into consideration. Yet I, for example, need a client.

For The Interview, I had a commitment to TV, a contract for a Special. Since I had an upbringing that respects the rules of a pledge, I wanted to keep it. So, this TV film came about in this way, by itself, without traumas, because it offered the freedom of lightheartedness, the seductive aspect of something that doesn't build up expectations.

Making a film is an adventurous journey, above all for producers. Looking back, I can't say I complain. Every film has its troubles, its delays, but the obstacles on a journey represent part of the journey itself. The trip is enriched by difficulties that reveal mysterious, even providential expressions of friendship. For The Interview, I didn't have these problems of getting started, of setting off on the film's journey. But for my last film, The Voice from the Moon, yes.

I covered this last film with insults, I tried to kick it away like one does with an illness you don't want to catch. In order not to catch pneumonia, what do you do? You try to defend yourself.

Marcello Mastroianni
in Fellini's 8 1/2

You declared once, long ago, in 1969, that "a film is like an illness that is expelled from the body."

No doubt there's a connection between pathology and creation, we can't deny it. Yet I view with pleasure the work of film professionals I love, such as Bunuel, Kurosawa, Kubrick, Bergman.

I'm perhaps a special type of spectator. I experience pleasure when I find myself in front of something that is the absolute truth, not because it resembles life, but because it's true as an image for itself, as a gesture. And therefore vital. It's the vitality that makes me appreciate and feel that the action succeeded. I think the expression of an artist's work finds consensus when, whoever enjoys it feels as if they're receiving a charge of energy, like a growing plant does, of something pulsing, mysterious, vibrant with life.

Going back to the difficulty of starting your Voice ... film, from documents it would seem that these difficulties started with shooting the first scene in your first film as director The White Sheik. And then there was that long business of completing The City of Women.

Yes, perhaps, but sometimes the problems aren't caused by me but by producers. However, when I'm in the harrowing phase and feel restless, it means I'm ready to start, that I must start, that I can begin the film. And initially I need to observe, to meet people with simplicity, as happens on a bus or a train; I need to sketch. I reflect, observe some details, a tic, a gesture, a color, a face.

An "entomologist's curiosity," you said. Also toward women?

Woman is a marvel; woman is a universe. This may be a tantric conception: Woman is the alien part of man, but she is higher than he, because women are born adults, ancient. You're born knowing everything. As mothers, you're superior. For survival, an archetypal rebellion exists in women's memory, because man has invented for himself an intellectual supremacy, a violence he uses to dominate her. But the struggle is unequal.

You smile. You really don't seem to believe me! Or maybe you're asking me how it was done, because I still haven't written a beautiful love story for my films.

But the story of Zampano and Gelsomina in La Strada is a love story, even if unusual and terrible.

Yes, it was. But I, and I'm embarrassed to share this confidence, I have to confess that I've never identified myself with excesses of passion and love. I seem never to have been in love in that sense. I don't understand the desperation of love as an irreparable loss.

I'd like to ask you a question concerning the costumes you draw for your films, which sometimes are particularly elegant, as if they were from a different era than ours. What does this mean?

In certain films like Satyricon or Casanova, the costumes of the era were necessary because the films were historical. That's obvious. I have the habit of looking back to styles of the '20s and '30s, because this unconscious reference goes back to an emotional reality when I discovered and noticed things. Lights, colors, attitudes, moods, usages, rhythms belong to this emotional reality.

In addition, there is another fact. A person's clothes make up part of his character. I draw the character with his costume. I suggest it to the stylists with my drawings; the drawings translate some of my emotional impressions. For me elegance happens when there is a correspondence between a person's personality and how she dresses herself Finally, don't forget that costumes, like dreams, are symbolic communication. Dreams teach us that a language for everything exists — for every object, every color worn, every clothing detail. Hence, costumes provide an aesthetic objectification that helps to tell the character's story.

You talk about a certain "first impression," which is tied to the play of memory and nostalgia. Is it perhaps a flight from the present era?

Our times are extraordinary and marvelous; everything has happened and continues to happen. After the Berlin Wall fell, the people on either "side" were no longer enemies, and ideologies stopped being barriers to truth. All of politics is up for rethinking.

But you know, I never managed to follow the route of neorealism, the problems of the working class.

Yet there are so many social critiques in your films.

Certainly! If metalworkers didn't dream, there would be only a hunk of metal.

NEXT: Strange dealings with the mysterious Carlos Castaneda
Old 03 Mar 2004, 00:01   #13
nortis
Junior

nortis

Fellini 3

Tell me about a film you never started, the one about Carlos Castaneda.

It’s a very complicated story.

I first looked for Castaneda through his publishers. I talked with the publisher, who gave me the address of Castaneda’s agent, a Ned Brown in New York. The publisher told me it would be easy for Brown to give me Castaneda’s address. Once a year a Mexican boy brought the publisher manuscripts. Ned Brown told me he had never met Castaneda.

Persisting in my search, I was told that Castaneda was in an insane asylum, even that he was dead. Someone else said he’d met him and that he was alive, that he had seen him at a lecture Castaneda gave. Then, in Rome, there was a Mrs. Ioghi who put me in contact with him. And I finally met Castaneda.

Castaneda’s personality is quite different from what you might imagine. He seemed like a Sicilian — a cordial, easygoing, smiling Sicilian host. Brown skin, black eyes, a very white smile. He has the effusiveness of a Latin, a Mediterranean. He’s Peruvian, not Mexican.

Are you sure it was really him?

What are you trying to say? Of course; he was surrounded by other people. Mrs. Ioghi knew him.

This likable gentleman, who had seen all my films, told me that one day with Don Juan, thirty or forty years ago, he had seen my film, La Strada — which was made in 1952. Don Juan had told him, "You will have to meet the director of this film." He said that Don Juan had prophesied this meeting. That’s what Castaneda told me. I told you that he came to find me, here, in this living rom, seated right here.

From the beginning I was fascinated by his book The Teachings of Don Juan, a book about esoteric, parapsychological ventures. Then I was fascinated by the overall idea: that of a scientific man, an anthropologist, who starts with a speculative, scientific purpose, a man who keeps his feet on the ground, watches where he’s going and literally looks at the ground, in fields, in vegetable gardens, in glades, toward the hills — where mushrooms grow. This man of science then finds himself, after initiation, following a path that brings him into contact with some ancient Toltecs.

I like the route supplied by a scientific, rational curiosity, a route that he took with a rational attention and which, at the same time, led him toward the mysterious world, a world we define in a vague way as "irrational."

This relation between science and a supernatural world seems especially interesting. In this connection, you talked about your experience with LSD, your belief in Jung’s psychoanalysis, and your friendship with Roll, the most famous Italian clairvoyant.

Yes, this seems to me the end point of true science. The more it advances, protected by its parameters, its mode of inquiry, its certainties, and its doubts, also its distrust, the closer it comes to something that is "the mystery." And, therefore, it approaches a religious vision of the phenomenon it’s investigating.

The one thing that fascinated and also somewhat alienated me — an Italian, a Latin, a Mediterranean, conditioned by a Catholic education — was Castaneda’s and Don Juan’s particular vision of the world. I saw something unhuman there. Independently of Don Juan, who is charming in a literary way and whom we are made to see as an old sage, I couldn’t help being invaded at times by a feeling of strangeness. As if I were confronted with a vision of a world dictated by a quartz! Or a green lizard!

What I found fascinating was that you felt transported to a point of view never before imagined, never suspected, that truly had you breathing outside yourself, outside of your humanity, and that for an instant gave you an unfamiliar shiver of belonging to other elements, to elements of the vegetable world, animal world, even the mineral world. A feeling, that is, of silences, of extraterrestrial, extra-planetary colors. This was what seduced my propensity for the fantastic, the visionary, the unknown, the enigmatic.

In Don Juan’s vision of the world, there was no comfort, nothing of what so many other texts can give you or that other esoteric authors like Rudolph Steiner or the Templars give. In short, Castaneda’s stories, unlike so many other esoteric or initiatory texts that try to tell you about other dimensions, offered a vision lacking any psychological comfort. This was what made them terrible and fascinating for me. Yet I seemed to find myself in an asphyxiated world.

You told me once that from the moment you arrived in Los Angeles, where Castaneda was waiting for you, some strange events began.

Phenomena and wonders popped up. When he came to my hotel, he brought along some women. I never saw him again, but after that I found strange messages in my room and objects moved around. I think it was black magic. His women, but not Castaneda, went with me to Tulun, and the same things happened there.

You felt threatened, and Castaneda disappeared.

It’s been some years — that was in 1986 — and I still haven’t been able to figure out what really happened. Maybe Castaneda was sorry to have brought me there and worked out a series of phenomena that discouraged me from making my film. Or maybe his associates didn’t want me to make a film and did these things. Anyway, it was all too strange, so I decided not to make the film.

Castaneda’s books brought back some feelings that I had experienced as a boy.... It’s difficult to define.... Maybe madness can resemble this kind of astral, icy cold, solitary silence. I put one boyhood experience in The Voice from the Moon, when Benigni tells his grandmother that he became a poplar tree. It happened when I was a boy and spent the summer with my grandmother, Francesca, my father’s mother, in the country at Gambettola.

Fellini's peculiar mix of
modernism and antiquity: Amarcord

The name of this place, Gambettola, could come from a fable, some sort of Pinocchio adventure....

Yes! It was also called "the forest," because there was a large forest nearby. There, I had a few experiences that I remembered only thirty or forty years later. They came back in a more hallucinatory or more revivified way because I was reading some parapsychological texts. In short, they were experiences of special feelings. First was the episode of the poplar tree.

I was able to translate sounds into colors, an experience that happened to me afterward. I could chromatize sounds. It’s a faculty that can surprise us, but which seems natural to me, given that life is a single thing, a totality that we have learned to divide, file, separate, tying different sensations together in different ways.

Here I was seated under that poplar at Gambettola, and I heard the ox lowing in the stable. At the same time, I saw coming out of the stable’s wall something fibrillating, like an enormous tongue, a mat, a carpet, a flying carpet moving slowly in the air.

I was sitting with my back to the stall, but I could see everything around me and behind me, 360 degrees. And this wave dissolved, passing through me, like a huge fan of very tiny, microscopic rubies that shimmered in the sun. Then it disappeared.

This phenomenon of translating sounds into colors, the chromatic equivalent of sound, stayed with me for many years. I could tell you about other such episodes that happened when I was a child, and also when I was twenty and had come to Rome.

But let’s go back to what happened under the poplar. At a certain moment, while I was playing, I seemed to see myself up above, very high, I seemed to be swinging there, and to hear a light wind in my hair. Then I felt — it’s difficult for me to describe it — that I was solidly planted in the ground. And that little boy I saw — which was me — now had his legs sunk in the ground, so far that I felt I had roots. And the whole body was covered by a kind of hot, thick blood that rose, rose, rose up to the head because of the sound that I was making ("whooo") while I was playing. I heard this sound with a different organ, magnificent, more....

Like a mantra!

It was a mantra, yes, like "ommm." And then this feeling of rapture, of lightness, of lightness and power, power in the roots and lightness above in the branches shaking in the sky. I had become the poplar!

These are the great intuitions and feelings, the great visionary wisdom of childhood that one has to tell later as fantasies.

Let’s say they need to assume the form of fables. The fable is always the more human, and also the more faithful, way of recounting.

NEXT: Living on fantasy income
Old 08 Dec 2017, 10:25   #14
marlene77
Novice

marlene77

I Want To Thank Prophet For Help Me

I want to share a great testimony on this website on how great Dr.oduma help me in falling pregnant,me and my husband have been trying to have a baby for over 6 years,but they where no luck so we decided to contact the family doctor and after all the test have been done,he said to us that one of my fallopian tube is not functioning.then one day i was in the office when a friend of mine who have the same problem with me, fall pregnant after she contacted Dr.oduma.she directed me to him and when i contacted him through is email and he did the purification on the pregnancy spell and in 8weeks time i was feeling some how and i want to meet the family doctor who told me that i m pregnant.if you know that you have a similar problem like this and you want to be pregnant you can contact Dr.oduma via Email:odumaspelltemple0@gmail.com,or cell phone ++2347055176615
marlene77 is offline   Reply With Quote sendpm.gif