Old 19 Feb 2004, 23:30   #1
nortis
Junior

nortis

interviu cu David Lynch

Lübecker Nachrichten, 3. Januar 2002

Interviewing ...

David Lynch

Lübecker Nachrichten: "Mulholland Drive" was originally intended to be the pilot of a television series - how did it become a feature film?

David Lynch: At first, I was told be the television channel, that I shouldn´t worry about the running time, then suddenly it had to have a certain running time. So they asked me to cut the whole thing down to this length. I wasn´t exactly pleased with this decision. Eventually the head of the French Studio Canal+ suggested to turn it into a feature film. So that moment I had a problem, for I didn´t know how to make a film out of it. Then suddenly one night the ideas came - and it became a very interesting night for me.

LN: How does it feel as an artist making films to be let down by a down-to-earth executive of a television channel?

Lynch: I´m neither angry nor depressed. That´s just how things are. These television guys have their own problems to deal with. And in a certain way, they did me a favour by turning it down. For it has become an entirely different project.

LN: What´s the origin of this project?

Lynch: The idea simply came from the words "Mulholland Drive". Each word we use always evokes images. What came to my mind is now the starting point of the film, the road sign at night. Head lights. And a driving car. This is where the dream starts from.

LN: What does David Lynch dream about every night?

Lynch: Nightly dreams aren´t my subject of interest. It rarely happens that I use a nightly dream for a film. But can let your mind wander during the day - and suddenly you catch an idea. Sometimes ideas that make you dream become magnets: They simply attract even more ideas.

LN: Do you keep these daydreams in mind, waiting for them to return, or do you write them down at once?

Lynch: You have to write down everything at once, even if it´s only a fragment. You have to write down every thrilling idea instantly, otherwise it´s lost. Sometimes I forget to do so, and I can only remember that they were fantastic but not the idea itself - and it makes me mad.

LN: Do you alway keep a big note book at hand?

Lynch: I keep lots of sheets of paper in a box...

LN: And before making a new movie you pick notes with ideas by blind luck?

Lynch: That might be an interesting method for a change. But in fact, if you´ve got an idea you go through all these notes and find another idea that might develop into something. These pages contain lots of different thigs, with the minimum being a single phrase.

LN: Do you use ideas from your earlier films for a new project from time to time as well?

Lynch: No, that would be depressing. Like you`d reheat thrown-up. If you use an idea, it`s brought to a close. You´ve got to let the new interpretations talk to you. There might be certains realtions to earlier ideas, but the quality of something new is essential.

LN: Some regard your latest film as a masterpiece, while others talk of the Emperor´s new clothes and manipulation...

Lynch: The term "manipulation" is completely wrong. I don´t want to manipulate people, just stay faithful to the ideas, I find thrilling - with the strange hope they might be interesting to others as well.

Gespräch: Dieter Oßwald
nortis is offline   Reply With Quote sendpm.gif
Old 19 Feb 2004, 23:32   #2
nortis
Junior

nortis

M/am gandit ca ar fi super ok sa postam aici interviurile pe care le avem cu regizorii nostri preferati. Voi ce parere aveti?
Old 19 Feb 2004, 23:34   #3
nortis
Junior

nortis

Totusi voi face un subiect nou pentru asta. Ca pe asta scrie deja ca e cu Lynch.