Thread: Proza
View Single Post
Old 28 Apr 2019, 11:41   #55
White1
Guru

White1

Mother Night, Kurt Vonnegut

"Shy steps down the sidewalk and then i stopped. I froze. It was not guilt that froze me. I taught myself never to feel guilt. It was not a ghastly sense of lost that froze me. I have taught myself to covet nothing. It was not a loathing of death that froze me. I taught myself to think of death as a friend. It was not heartbroken rage against injustice that froze me. I had taught myself that a human being might as well took for tiaras diamond in the gutter as for rewards and punishments that were fair. It was not the thought that i was so unloved that froze me. I taught myself to do without love. It was not the thought that God was cruel that froze me. I taught myself never to expect anything from Him. What froze me was the fact that i had absolutley no reason to move in any direction. What had made me move through so many dead and pointless years was curiosity. Now even that had flickered out. How long i stood frozen there i cannot say. If i was ever going to move again, someone else was going to have to furnish the reason for moving. Somebody did."